Sometimes being original is hard.
Sometimes you just wanna do anything but write that blog post.
And when these two universal truths combine, we get the content marketer’s standby: the ol’ compare-two-things blog post.
They usually have a headline like “X things Y can teach you about Z,” and they either:
- capitalize on a pop culture moment or figure
- provide specific instruction from a universally understood source or
- just let the writer write about something he or she really, really likes.
Sometimes they teach you things. Sometimes they don’t.
As an experiment, I gathered up as many of these unlikely sources as I could find. I’m not here to hate — at least one of these links is mine — just to tell you that these sources that can teach you something about marketing are officially taken.
Update: OK, it’s far more than 67 sources now because I forgot some awesome posts. I don’t feel like doing the math again though. Just go with it.
40 unlikely things that can teach you about SEO
- Vinny Chase of “Entourage”
- “Prison Break”
- Famous TV catchphrases
- Bob Villa
- Bob Dylan –>
- Deep Purple
- Hip-hop moguls
- Queen Latifah
- Die Hard
- James Bond
- The Godfather
- An old man and a fish bowl
- My Little Pony
- Jimmy Carr’s tax avoidance apology
- Steve Jobs
- Matthew McConaughey’s abs
- Selling knives
- World of Warcraft
- The Hunger Games
- Your mechanic
18 unlikely things that can teach you about social media
- Social drinking
- Food trucks
- A local burger joint
- Farmers –>
- Rhinestone pumps
- “Gangnam Style”
- Lady Gaga
- David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust
- Your local radio station
- Kobe Bryant
- “American Idol”
- Conan O’Brien
- Proctology exams
7 unlikely things that can teach you about content/writing
- A baby
- Toddlers –>
- Dr. Seuss
- The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show
- The Choose Your Own Adventure books
8 unlikely things that can teach you about email marketing
- “Sesame Street”
- Your toddler (yes, again)
- Flash mobs
- Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer
8 unlikely things that can teach you about marketing
- A triceratops
- Michael Phelps’ 19th Olympic medal
- The royal wedding
- A blind squirrel –>
- A half marathon
- Toddlers (why so much with the toddlers, parent marketers?)
- Tyler Durden
- Eminem’s Chrysler commercial
And finally, a shout-out to our PPC friends, for whom I could only find one example of this phenomenon: What J.K. Rowling Can Teach PPC Marketers About Reaching Ideal Prospects. Where ya at, PPC-ers?
Liked This Article?
Want to get notified when the next post is published on the Raven Blog?