Did you know? How to authorize Google Webmaster Tools in Raven
In March, we released an update to our integration with Google Webmaster Tools that dramatically overhauled the tool’s user interface and, more importantly, added Top Searches data – including average rank.
With average rank, you can get real information on where people are finding your domain in Google searches. No guessing based on scraped data, no hoping that people are searching in private mode in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle to get the least affected results possible.
Average rank factors all of that information in and gives you a reasonable estimate of your organic opportunities.
But it can be a little trickier than the average tool to set up. Let’s break down exactly how to authorize Google Webmaster Tools in your account.
Prepare your GWT account
Fully authorizing Google Webmaster Tools in Raven is a two-step process. Before you open your Raven account, follow these steps to grant Raven access to your GWT account:
- Navigate to google.com/webmasters and log into your Google account.
- For the domain that you’re trying to authorize, click the Settings button and choose the Add or Remove Users option.
- On this page, click Add a New User.
- Enter email@example.com and give this new user restricted (not full) access.
- Repeat for as many accounts as you plan to authorize
The reason why we ask for you to add Raven as a user on your websites in GWT is because we’re essentially exporting the Top Searches data as a user, then importing it into Raven for parsing. This is a process that is recommended by Google – we’re just taking advantage of the capabilities of automating the data collection.
If you’d prefer not to give Raven access in this way, you can still see data like crawl errors and related keywords by following the next steps. You just won’t be able to get Top Searches data.
Authorize your GWT account
Now that you’ve prepared your Google Webmaster Tools account for integrating with Raven, follow these instructions to pull all of your GWT data into Raven:
- Log into your Raven account and navigate to Site > Webmaster.
- On this page, add a new account if you haven’t added it already. Be sure to grant Raven access on the next page and name your new Google Account.
Once you’ve authorized your Google Account, your GWT account should automatically connect. Keep in mind that it can take about 10 minutes for Raven to pull data from Top Searches into your account.
That’s it! But, there are a couple of caveats to be aware of that can cause the authorization process to go awry.
A couple of caveats
- Google is very particular about verifying websites. Let’s say that we’ve added www.raventools.com to our Raven account, but verified raventools.com in our Google Webmaster Tools account. One would think that these two would see each other when authorizing GWT, but that isn’t the case. The websites in both Raven and GWT must have the exact same URL. Google recommends that you add both versions – with and without the www subdomain – to your account.
- When authorizing your Google Account, you may see a warning stating that the website has not registered with Google. Because Google registers websites on a domain by domain basis, it isn’t feasible to register every domain with their system – due in part to the custom domain features offered. Don’t worry, you can trust us.
That’s about it! If you have any questions or concerns, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.